Winner: Divergent by Veronica Roth
Honors: The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
Okay for Now by Gary Schmidt
The titles we read were:
- City of Orphans by Avi
- Sidekicks by Jack Ferraiolo
- Trouble with May Amelia by Jennifer Holm
- Icefall by Matthew J Kirby
- Inside Out and Back Again by Thannha Lai
- Apothecary by Maile Meloy
- The Adventures of Sir Gawain The True by Gerald Morris
- Divergent by Veronica Roth
- Okay for Now by Gary Schmidt
- Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick
- Bigger Than a Breadbox by Laurel Snyder
- Emerald Atlas by John Stephens
- Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
- Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu
- Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman by M Wolizter
This year's club was fundamentally different than last year's. We didn't have any sixth graders and ended up with half as many students. You can tell that most were older by the titles that won!
Also, due to budget constraints, we didn't get the books until late and didn't have many copies of each. Since many students use the school library as the place they receive books - some dropped out because they couldn't get the books in time.
One thing that was the same; it was requested that we do a "popular" book club. I think I will move my focus next year. Maybe read books that are/were on the Battle of the Kid's Books. As of next month, I'll be moving to a lunch time read for each grade. 3 book clubs per month!! For sixth grade, I'll continue using the above list. For 7th graders - which has one boy - I'm going to use fantasy and for 8th - a mix of contemporary romance, fantasy, and mystery.