Harper Collins Children
SummarySky and her family live in a post 9/11 world in New Mexico. There are frequent terrorists attacks and the nation has established red alerts and safe zones in schools. The Brightmans have decided to protect their children, Sky and Mouse, from harsh news and tell them what they need to know. After a very serious terrorist attack, the family rushes to get supplies at Home Depot where they witness a Middle Eastern family being mistreated first by the crowd and then by the supposed authorities. Sky is upset that she stood idly by and is challenged by her mother, Ana, to make a difference by befriending Kareem, a new student at the school.
- short, spare writing that clearly describes the characters
- fast moving plot that doesn't sacrifice story
- believable bullying situations, very realistic
- resolution was unexpected but mostly satisfying
- hard to get a picture of the setting
- left with questions (not really a con!)