1. Viola in Reel Life - check out this summary from PW:
"...Adriana Trigiani’s Viola in Reel Life. The first YA book from bestselling author Trigiani, the novel is the first in a series featuring Brooklyn teenager Viola Chesterton. Chesterton, a funny teen whose parents are globe-trotting documentary filmmakers, is forced to attend her mother’s alma mater, a stuffy boarding school in South Bend, Ind., called the Prefect Academy. Convinced she’ll hate Prefect and South Bend, Viola, who largely views the world from behind her camera, learns unexpected things about herself—and starts a romance—as a result of the move..."
People, I live in South Bend, Indiana!! IRL! OMW! This is a total must read for me. And..it just moved Very Valentine closer to the top of the reading pile! This is so rad!
2. Twitter Party - yes, you read that right! I'm going to a twitter party tonight! Come join @sarahockler for a night of fun and good times with to kickoff your summer of reading. We'll be discussing Twenty Boy Summer! What? You haven't read it? Get off the computer and read it!! NOW! This will be here when you get back! See you at the Twitter Party at 7pm EST!
3. 48 hr Book Challenge - I'll be starting this later today. Watch for my beginning post. I will be donating books from their wishlist to Color Online's Summer Book Drive. If you'd like to help out they have a wish list at Powell's. If you can't find their wishlist - use their email address - firstname.lastname@example.org.
For each book I finish, I will buy them a book from the list.
4. Jane Carter Solution - seriously thinking of locing my hair. Right now it's twisted and I always undo it before it locs. Twisting takes about 2 hrs and my hair is short! Still, it's an easy do. I think I'm going to take the plunge sometime this summer...thoughts? Also, if you go to JCS - turn down the sound, it talks automatically!
5. 20 Must Reads - Last year I posted 20 YA books I wanted to read over summer. I've read 17, not too bad. Here are 18 more plus 2 from my previous list:
- Secret Keeper by Mitali Perkins
- Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
- My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
- Far From You by Lisa Schroeder
- Peace, Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson
- The Rock and The River by Kekla Magoon
- Reality Check by Peter Abrahams
- Climbing the Stairs by Padma Venkatraman
- Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith
- Return to Sender by Julie Alvarez
- Ash by Malina Lo
- Coretta Scott by Ntozake Shange
- Hate List by Jennifer Brown
- Happy Face by Stephen Emond
- Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink
- Diego by Carmen T. Bernier-Grande
- The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, 1 by MT Anderson
- Never Slow Dance With a Zombie by E. Van Lowe
- My Life as a Rhombus by Varian Johnson
- Claudette Colvin: Twice Towards Justice by Phillip Hoose
Well, that's the Friday Five today. I'll be posting an awful lot over the next few months so I hope you stick with me! Look for my first Contest Monday on...Monday!! Have a great weekend!
PS - Apologies to E. Van Lowe - I have 2 ARCs of your book right here!! I was just typing too fast. Please forgive!