I'm appalled at myself. So I've decided I need to read at least ONE book by an African American author each month for the rest of the year. I don't know what I'll be reading, but I know it will be enriching. How diverse is YOUR bookshelf?
Update: I scoured my bookshelf and found the following books:
- Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis
- Day of Tears by Julius Lester
- The Bishop's Daughter by Tiffany Warren
- New Boy by Julian Houston
- After Tupac and D Foster by Jacqueline Woodson
- Kendra by Coe Booth
- Indigo Summer by Monica McKayhan
So I have a good start. Not a great one, but a good one.